Meet the Mentees – May 2017
We follow the journeys of some of our UX Mentorship Program mentees each month as they learn about UX and work towards getting their first UX jobs.
This months mentees
1. What have you been learning about UX this month?
2. What have been your key UX takeaways?
This time I had to go deeper and convince stakeholders so I learned about how important it is to communicate the process not only to them, but the whole team.
I had to make the whole team see the value of the research and thus generate a consciousness to achieve user goals.
I used an Agile retrospective meeting to express my concern about the need to understand the daily environment of the user. The team gave me support, and it worked!
After that meeting, the CO-Managing Director was setting an appointment with a client company to go there and do more research (and test some wireframes).
3. What are your plans for learning next month?
Keep learning about the UX Research field. There are so many things to discover on this project that would be very useful for me in the future.
Also, I started a free Human Centred Design Course with some friends from Acumen & IDEO, as I think is a good complement.
So I’ll learn HCD to apply on my projects. http://www.plusacumen.org/courses/introduction-human-centered-design
I will also attend to the Ladies That UX Melbourne on the 1st of June (it’s a monthly event).
4. Do you have any recommendations for books/websites/events that have helped you this month?
FabiolaThis month I’m reading the book “The User Experience Team of One” (By Leah Buley)*
And I read the following articles That I found interesting:
This one I really liked:
Storyframes before wireframes
This one has helped me on some occasions (from a year ago, but still useful): Complete beginner’s guide to design research
This one is more UI orientated, but very helpful for my current project:
Design better data tables
- Try the UX Mentorship Program to get help and support from UX experts
- Check out our Top 40 UX books of all time – as recommended by UX Designers
- Read our popular Beginner’s guide to UX series to learn the basics
*We earn a small commission if you purchase via this link